The Jimenez surname most commonly means "son of Jimeno or Simón," given names meaning "gracious hearkening; snub-nosed."
Jimenez is a very common surname in Asturias, Aragón, Castile, Navarre, Extremadura, Murcia and Andalusia; most anciently in Navarre and Aragón.
Jimenez is the 26th most common Hispanic surname.
- Surname origin: Spanish
- Alternate surname spellings: Jimenes
Famous People With the Surname
- Héctor Jiménez: Mexican actor
- Melissa Jimenez: Mexican American singer and songwriter
Where Is This Surname Most Common?
As of January 2019, the Jimenez surname is the 173rd most common surname in the world, according to surname distribution information from Forebears. It is most prevalent, based on a percentage of the population, in Costa Rica, where it ranks as the 3rd most common surname. It is also extremely common in the Dominican Republic (9th), Spain (11th), Colombia (17th), Mexico (20th) and Panama (23rd).
WorldNames PublicProfiler includes data from countries not included in Forebears, including Spain where Jimenez is extremely popular. Jimenez is particularly prevalent in Andalucia and La Rioja, Spain, followed by the Spanish regions of Castilla-La Mancha, Navarra, Madrid, Murcia, Extremadura, Castilla y León, and Cataluña.
- Jimenez family crest: Contrary to what you may hear, there is no such thing as a Jimenez family crest or coat of arms for the Jimenez surname. Coats of arms are granted to individuals, not families, and may rightfully be used only by the uninterrupted male-line descendants of the person to whom the coat of arms was originally granted.
- Jimenez family genealogy forum: This free message board is focused on the descendants of Jimenez ancestors around the world. Search the forum for posts about your Jimenez ancestors, or join the forum and post your own queries.
- FamilySearch: Explore over 3.6 million results from digitized historical records and lineage-linked family trees related to the Jimenez surname on this free website hosted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- GeneaNet: Includes archival records, family trees, and other resources for individuals with the Jimenez surname, with a concentration on records and families from France and other European countries.
- The Jimenez genealogy and family tree page: Browse genealogy records and links to genealogical and historical records for individuals with the Jimenez surname from the website of Genealogy Today.
- Ancestry.com: Explore over 4 million digitized records and database entries, including census records, passenger lists, military records, land deeds, probates, wills and other records for the Jimenez surname on the subscription-based website, Ancestry.com
- Cottle, Basil. Penguin Dictionary of Surnames. Baltimore, MD: Penguin Books, 1967.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Collins Celtic (Pocket edition), 1998.
- Fucilla, Joseph. Our Italian Surnames. Genealogical Publishing Company, 2003.
- Hanks, Patrick and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford University Press, 1989.
- Hanks, Patrick. Dictionary of American Family Names. Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Reaney, P.H. A Dictionary of English Surnames. Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Smith, Elsdon C. American Surnames. Genealogical Publishing Company, 1997.