When you are in love, almost every moment of togetherness is bliss, and almost every moment of separation is torture. When your heart pines for your loved one, you cannot help but lose interest in other aspects of your life. Your mind and soul suffer from a deep yearning. You might be separated by distance from your love or the separation might be permanent, the result of death or a breakup. These quotes can help when you are brought low by missing a love, for whatever reason.
Quotes to Help Cope With Missing Someone
- William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet: “Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say goodnight till it be morrow.”
- Ron Pope: "I was praying that you and me might end up together. It's like wishing for rain as I stand in the desert, but I'm holding you closer than most, 'cause you are my heaven."
- Claudia Adrienne Grandi: "If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden."
- Henry Alford: "Life is so short, so fast the lone hours fly. We ought to be together, you and I."
- Nicholas Sparks: "Romance is thinking about your significant other when you are supposed to be thinking about something else."
- Frederick Buechner: "You can kiss your family and friends goodbye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson: "For everything you have missed, you have gained something else, and for everything you gain, you lose something else."
- Emily Dickinson: "Parting is all we know of heaven and all we need to know of hell."
- American Proverb: "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."
- Hans Nouwens: "In true love, the smallest distance is too great, and the greatest distance can be bridged."
- Francois Duc de la Rochefoucauld: "Absence diminishes little passions and increases great ones, as the wind extinguishes candles and fans a fire."
- Kay Knudsen: "Love is missing someone whenever you're apart, but somehow feeling warm inside because you're close in heart."
- Rainbow Rowell, Eleanor & Park: “His eyes missed her as much as the rest of him.”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky, "The Dream of a Ridiculous Man" short story: “How anxiously I yearned for those I had forsaken.”
- Dennis Lehane, Shutter Island: "But as the years passed, he missed her more, not less, and his need for her became a cut that would not scar over, would not stop leaking.”
- Kaui Hart Hemmings, The Descendants: “That's how you know you love someone, I guess when you can't experience anything without wishing the other person were there to see it, too.”